Thursday, May 21, 2009

Musing Mondays

I got the love of reading from my mom. She was a grade school teacher, mainly taught Kindergarten. She would read to us 3 kids the classics (Dr Seuss, Currious George, etc.) and we grew up to Chapter books, where I got hooked on Beverly Cleary---Henry Huggins, Ramona the Pest, Runaway Ralph---a mouse, The Littles series, and she would let me read her Bobsey Twins books. I was always afraid to read them because the pages were brown and very brittle. I fell in love with astronomy when I was 5 or 6 and I wasn't allowed to do science fair projects until I was 10, because it was not a proper field for a woman. First Mrs Utlaut, my church's associate pastor's wife at the time would let me read astronomy books that were age appropreate, (and she had the tinyest record player that I ever saw and it played 33 1/3 records) and then Mrs Subnewski carried on the "torch", so to speak, and when I read all of the school library books on astronomy, she would give me a list of astronoy books to look up at the Oak Lawn Library. Mom, when she was teaching 5th and 6th grade science and history, I think, she would ask me for help with the chapter on astronomy. I was blessed by my mom and my grade school librarians for allowing me to read what I wanted to read.

3 comments:

Rebecca Johnson said...

Hi there, welcome to MM, hope to see you back next week :)

MizB said...

Hi, Judy -- The "addicted to reading challenges" button on my blog is courtesy of Wendy at A Novel Challenge, so you'd really just have to ask her.

And, as for Friday Finds, we'd love to have you play along! The post is up for this week here. :)

~MizB

Marie Cloutier said...

Hiya! Thanks for visiting my blog. The cloud feature on librarything is on the bar above the home page and profile page. There's a horizontal bar below the tabs where you'll see "Clouds". Let me know if you have any more questions & thanks for dropping by. I'm enjoying reading your blog! :-)